Barclays Cycle Hire
On 30th July 2010, London's newest mode of transport was introduced, Barclays Cycle Hire. In conjunction with Transport for London, Serco designed, built and implemented this innovative scheme in just nine months. The initial contract worth £140m was awarded to Serco in 2009 to start in 2010 for a period of five years with an option for a two year extension.
Since its launch in July 2010, Serco has successfully implemented two expansions of the scheme; the first into east London in April 2012 and the second expansion into south west London in December 2013 which included the installation of over 150 new docking stations and the addition of over 2,000 new bikes. Additionally, 1,179 new docking points have been added to existing stations to serve the increased demand for the scheme. The scheme now covers 100km≤ with a total of 11,000 bikes and 756 docking stations.
In conjunction with TfL, Serco continues to deliver further improvements to the redistribution of bikes around London. A newly opened depot in south London allows quicker redistribution and maintenance of bikes and, a new redistribution system which uses previous usage patterns to improve the movement of bikes around the scheme is currently being trialled and could be introduced in spring 2014 if it proves successful.
The scheme has been a tremendous success with over 26 million hires to date and has won several prestigious awards for design and operation:
- 2010 The Mayor's Procurement awards - highly commended for recruitment
- 2010 UK Corporate Entrepreneur Awards
- 2010 London Cycling Campaign Best Facility Award: Barclays Cycle Hire
- 2011 Brit Insurance Design of the Year - Transport Award Winner
- 2010 Worshipful Company of Carmen Transport Environmental Award
- 2011 Infrastructure Prize the at the Institute of Civil Engineering awards for Most Innovative Transport Project
- 2011 Chartered Institute of Highways and Transport Innovation award
- 2011 National Transport Awards, prize for Innovation
- 2011 London Lifestyle Awards; prize for 'Green Contribution of the Year'
- 2011 National Outsourcing Awards for Excellence & Innovation