Our world 2018
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar and the most sacred month of the year in Islamic culture. Observance includes fasting, abstinence and charitable giving with a focus on less fortunate communities.
As guests in the region, and as a public service provider and employer across the Islamic nations of the Middle East, we operate with the utmost respect and care for the culture and customs of our hosts and local employees.
During Ramadan, we strive to participate and contribute meaningfully, focusing on the celebration and wellbeing of those we serve, those we employ and work alongside, and neighbouring communities in need. In particular, we engage in the provision of iftar meals, the evening meal with which daily fasting is broken during Ramadan.
During Ramadan in 2018 (16 May – 14 June) our contributions included:
- The Soft Services Supervisors for our Facilities & Cleaning team at the Dubai Metro arranged Iftar dinners for our employees and colleagues in partner agencies – over 200 people in total.
- Our Marketing and Communications team for the Dubai Metro donated headwear to our security fleet partners to help protect them from the summer heat during fasting.
- At Zayed University in Dubai, our Corporate Social Responsibility team coordinated with a local hotel in Abu Dhabi to provide Iftar meals for 300 service providers over three evenings.
- At Paris Sorbonne University in Abu Dhabi, we organised a food drive to prepare and deliver over 100 iftar meal packs to third party service providers working with us on site.
- In Iraq, our Baghdad Aviation team hosted 240 iftar dinners over four nights, for colleagues in the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority.
In addition, many employees of Serco Middle East contribute personally through volunteering and donations. For example, several members of staff at the Dubai Metro volunteered in the distribution of iftar food and drink to local labour workers, while others donated over 700 bottles of water to local mosques for hydration after fasting.