Secure Modular Accommodation
Serco has developed a safe, secure and resilient solution to meet the need for additional, permanent prison accommodation.
A Serco solution
Rising prisoner populations are a challenge faced by governments around the world. Serco has developed a safe, secure and resilient solution to meet the need for additional, permanent prison accommodation.
Our operator-led design ensures that all functional and performance requirements are incorporated from the outset. Economies of scale are achieved through a factory manufacturing process off site. Fabricated for rapid deployment into brownfield and greenfield operating correctional and detention environments, the modules deploy international container technology enabling better handling and logistics.
- Cost effective
- Faster build and delivery
- Operator-led design and delivery
- Minimal impact on existing operations
Safe and Secure
Modules are based around standard container sub-frames incorporating a combination of structural steel, 6mm steel plate, 12mm pre-cast fibre reinforced concrete panels, and 3mm plate steel riveted to a steel frame.
The modular solution is fitted with quality fixtures and fittings, no ligature points, anti-pick screws and provides external access to all services resulting in no need to enter cells for maintenance.
Modules can accommodate single or dual-bed options, and the design can be configured to meet any brownfield or greenfield site specifications and security classifications. The finished product closely resembles traditional-build units, allowing operations to be seamlessly integrated into the existing facility regime with minimal impact to the security of the facility.
Modules are fabricated in China to meet all Australian safety, legal and compliance standards and have undergone scrupulous assessments to ensure safety and security of occupants and operators.
The prototype has been designed and rigorously tested to ensure the solution is the most robust, secure and safe product available on the market for the prison sector. It allows for the humane and decent management of prisoners in a setting which is consistent with a facility’s existing cellular accommodation. The rigorous testing regime includes:
- simulations of an attempted breakout through the doors, windows and walls
- the design of all ligature points
- able to observe all areas within the cell through the use of the internal wall mounted mirror
- tests the robustness and anchorage of the fixtures and fittings
- tests for the prevention of transmission and storage of contraband through anti-pick sealant
- testing of the anti-tamper screws
- cell elements and furniture subject to extreme, multiple impacts
- door, frame and lock can withstand 50 blows from 200kg mass
- as robust, safe and secure as traditional buildings.
Certifications and accreditations
- Complies with all climate conditions per National Construction Code (NCC) of Australia
- Air conditioning and ventilation to all relevant Australian Standards, NCC and local Shire requirements with Air Quality to AS 1668
- Wind loading and rainfall design to AS/NZ 1170.2 and AS/NZ 3500.3
- Acoustic and insulation to AS/NZ 4859.1
- Fire resistance to AS1530.1
- Painting and powder coating to AS 4114.1/AS 4114.2 and AS 3715 and AS 4506
- Structural elements to AS 1170.2
- Welding to AS/NZ 1554.1
- Steel protective treatment to AS 1627.4
- Electrical fit out to AS 1680
From concept to reality
In realising this concept, Serco has overseen the production of a prototype facility with our fabrication partner CIMC and engineers Scope. The prototype proves the functionality and capability of the modular cell solution.
The finished product can resemble traditional-build units, allowing operations to be seamlessly integrated into the existing facility with minimal impact to the security of the facility.
Cells can accommodate single or dual-bed options, and the design can be configured to meet any brownfield or greenfield site specifications and security classifications.
*Prototype models shown.
Contact us for more information
Contact us for further information on Serco's Secure Modular Accommodation: