Detainee Service Officer - Villawood
- Close Date
- 19th Jan 2018
Serco are currently looking for casual Detainee Service Officers (DSOs) to join our Immigration Detention Centre team at Villawood for the next intake in November this year. This is a unique frontline role, which is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of immigration detainees from diverse backgrounds in our care whilst their immigration pathway is being determined.
Serco is an extraordinary company, making a positive difference to people's lives every day. We are part of a team of 70,000 people delivering essential services on behalf of governments and organisations around the world.
Our values of Trust, Care, Innovation and Pride underpin everything we do. Our people help in ways that matter. We are curious, creative, and collaborative.
We are very proud to lead the way across Australia's network of immigration centres. Our staff work hard to ensure the wellbeing of people in administrative detention, and to deliver high quality services.
- Safety – Use your leadership and communication skills to resolve problems and de-escalate volatile situations in an effective and professional manner. As required, perform Control and Restraint techniques
- Security – Implement Serco processes and procedures to maintain the good order and security of the Centre. You will conduct effective security searches and checks
- Welfare – Monitor and assist the welfare of detainees, using excellent verbal skills in line with Serco's current Welfare procedures
- Reporting - Write timely and accurate security reports and detainee case notes utilising Serco ICT platforms
- Logistics – Manage the Structured Day routines of immigration detainees within the Centre
- Development – Undergo ongoing training to ensure all qualifications are up to date whilst assisting other team members when necessary
Our Detainee Service Officers work on a 24/7 basis across a variety of shifts. This is a casual role which will include a variety of allocated shifts on a fortnightly basis in addition to on call shifts as required.
- Communication – Excellent communication skills are required for all aspects of this role. What you say will ensure the safety and security of the centre
- Conflict Resolution – An essential skill with our current DSOs is the ability to calm a situation using verbal methods. Experience of this in previous roles is highly regarded
- Resilient – Due to the nature of the role, we are looking for resilient characters who are able to brush off incidents that may happen in their day to day work
- Flexible – Our people work long and varied hours. It is essential that you bring a flexible approach to this role
- Attention to Detail – You will have a keen eye for detail when monitoring the people in Serco's care and be able to report on any incidents within the centre
- Fitness – Our officers spend a lot of time on their feet and must be able to apply Control and Restraint techniques when necessary and posess a reasonable level of physical fitness to be successful in this role
- Cultural Awareness – You will be a people-focussed individual who can relate to a diverse range of backgrounds
- Fully accredited nationally recognised training to a Certificate II level
- Working for a global FTSE 250 company
- Career progression opportunities
- Positive, team focussed working environment
- Rewarding role and daily interactions with a wide range of people
- Staff recognition program
- Volunteer days
- Health Insurance discounts
In addition, successful applicants must be able to successfully meet the requirements of an Australian Federal Police clearance and a fitness-based medical assessment.
Please apply using the link below.
Serco is committed to diversity and inclusion. If you are inspired to make a positive difference, find out more about us at www.serco-ap.com.au