Fiona Stanley Hospital
Serco delivers facilities management and workforce services at Fiona Stanley Hospital, one of Australia’s most advanced tertiary hospitals.
Supporting exceptional patient care
Serco delivers 21 non-clinical services at the flagship Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth, supporting all areas of the hospital to run efficiently.
As a 783-bed tertiary hospital, Fiona Stanley Hospital provides a full range of medical and surgical services, including the State burns service, the 140-bed State Rehabilitation Service, comprehensive cancer services, and state-of-the-art emergency care.
Continuous improvement since commissioning
Serco helped to commission Fiona Stanley Hospital between 2011–2014. The $2 billion hospital was the largest infrastructure project undertaken by the Western Australian Government at the time.
Our specialist team designed the integrated facilities management services and workforce management solutions, working closely with WA Health and Multiplex.
As the building works neared completion, we set up and managed site security, purchased and deployed equipment, established the hospital’s ICT infrastructure and recruited and trained more than 1,000 local people to deliver operational excellence.
Today our services include:
- Distribution services (waste, supplies, linen)
- Infrastructure, asset and grounds management
- Onsite 24/7 Helpdesk contact centre
- Patient Transport
- Car park and fleet management
- Safety and Incident management
- ICT and Digital services
- Energy and Utilities
- Tenancy management
- Electronic Records management
- HR Managed Services (HR, OSH, Learning and Development)
- Project management
Our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence supports the Hospital to deliver its promise of providing exceptional patient care.
As demands on the hospital have evolved, so too have our services.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have responded with agility and commitment, working in close collaboration with clinicians and hospital leadership to support innovation, establish the Hospital’s COVID clinic and triage system, and ensure the safety of patients, staff and visitors.
In 2021 our contract was extended for a further six-year term.
Increasing efficiency and driving standards for the WA Government
We are committed to achieving high standards of customer satisfaction and incorporate patient feedback mechanisms across our services through satisfaction surveys and other feedback.
Our service innovations at Fiona Stanley Hospital include:
- Advanced ICT infrastructure with a secure and reliable single network
- An onsite 24/7 contact centre which handles over 110,000 incoming calls to the hospital and 27,000 work orders per month. Using data analytics, we drive efficiency and continual improvement to support patient flow.
- Managed equipment scheme that ensures up-to-date and well-maintained medical equipment
- State-of-the-art building management system with 150,000 data monitoring points
- Automated guided vehicles to reduce workplace injuries and improve service efficiencies
- Real time location systems for equipment and resources
- Automatic stock control for goods and materials
- Tracking devices in linen
- Serco won the FMA Excellence in Healthcare Award in 2020 for our exceptional services at Fiona Stanley Hospital.
- Working closely with clinicians, our specialised ICT team deliver innovative solutions to support patient communication and virtual care. Using iPads, we have supported COVID-positive patients while minimising the risk of exposure to nurses and doctors, and enabled new mothers to view live streams of their babies in the neonatal care unit.
- We are proud to support the South Metropolitan Area Health Service's Sustainability Framework with new environmental initiatives. In theatres, the introduction of a PVC recycling stream has seen a significant reduction in the volume of waste going to landfill. HVIV fluid bags, oxygen tubing and breathing masks are collected for recycling and used in road base and impact flooring at children’s playgrounds.
- In 2020, our Patient Catering team won Best Project at the Institute of Hospitality in Healthcare Awards for it’s a la carte menu, developed in partnership with Fiona Stanley Hospital Dieticians. The menu is mapped to 153 allergies and offers patients greater choice at all meal times.