- Home (plc)
- Environment, Social and Governance at Serco
- ESG in Action
- Supporting the tribally owned services company, Puyenpa, through the US Small Business Administration ‘All Small Mentor-Protégé program’
Supporting the tribally owned services company, Puyenpa, through the US Small Business Administration ‘All Small Mentor-Protégé program’
Our world 2019
In 2019, our Serco Americas Division formed a joint venture, Mahani Technical Services, with a tribally owned services company, Puyenpa, through the US Small Business Administration (SBA) ‘All Small Mentor-Protégé program’. The programme was established by the SBA to enable small businesses to learn from experienced government contractors, thereby developing strong protégé firms through mentor-provided business development assistance and helping them successfully compete for government contracts.
Puyenpa is an SBA Certified Native American Tribal business, based in Nevada and focused on delivering information technology, construction and professional services to the US Federal Government.
Through our role as a ‘mentor’ business in the programme, we are providing Puyenpa with a range of business development support, including:
- guidance on internal business management systems, accounting, marketing, manufacturing and strategic planning;
- assistance navigating federal contract bidding, acquisition and performance processes; and
- education about international trade, strategic planning and finding markets.
Together, we have formed Mahani Technical Services, an SBA-approved joint venture company specialising in construction and High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse Protection. Bringing together teams of engineers, construction managers and quality control personnel from both Serco and Puyenpa, Mahani offers a unique blend of experience, capability and values. Our collaboration through the SBA mentor-protégé programme means that Mahani is well-positioned to meet the complex technical and socio-economic requirements of relevant government projects.