Merseyrail named Operator of the Year at Rail Business Awards
Date: 02 Mar 2015
Merseyrail has won in the operator of the year category at the National Rail Business Awards in London. It is the first time the Liverpool city-region based operator has secured this accolade, building on its success as a high performer in the biannual National Rail Passenger Survey and the annual Which? train poll, as well as on the plaudits won at the North of England Excellence Awards in November.
Alan Chaplin, interim managing director at Merseyrail, commented: 'Merseyrail has an enviable track record for winning awards, and it's great to be recognised yet again. But, we remain determined to work hard and provide an excellent service for customers. This means constantly appraising and challenging the way we do things, innovating and applying best practice.'
Cllr Mal Sharp, Merseytravel's lead member for rail, added: 'We're really pleased that Merseyrail continues to receive national recognition for the quality of service it provides, which is testament to the locally managed arrangements in place. We are always keen to improve the passenger experience, and projects such as the refurbishment of Hamilton Square and schemes across the network to improve access illustrate this.'
Notes to Editors:
- Merseyrail carries ca 110,000 passengers per weekday
- Merseyrail scores for reliability and punctuality averaged over 95 per cent during the last 12 months
- We operate one of the most intensively used networks in the UK with more than 800 trains per weekday
- Merseyrail is a 50-50 joint venture between Serco and Abellio
- Merseytravel is the transport executive body and delivery arm of the city region's Combined Authority
- Network Rail is the owner and operator of most of the rail infrastructure in the UK
- For further information, contact Alice Owen on tel 0151 955 2131.
Download PDF [PDF, 284 KB] (Please note: this link will open the page in a new browser window)