Serco Canada Marine | Naval Design & Marine Engineering
Serco is uniquely positioned to support Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS), with expertise spanning naval, coast guard, research, and civilian ships. Drawing upon four decades of experience in integrated ship design, our offering includes naval architecture, marine engineering, detail and production design, and maritime services. Serco’s team has supported the development of the Royal Canadian Navy’s Joint Support Ship (JSS), the Halifax Class Patrol Frigates, the first fully electric green ferries in Ontario, and the Canadian Coast Guard’s Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels, among other high-profile vessels.
Serco offers a full lifecycle approach for maritime assets from concept and ship design all the way to modernization, sustainment and operations support. Our track record spans vessels operating in the most demanding conditions, from icebreakers to submarines and from advanced military ships to next-generation green transport.
- Naval Architecture – Serco’s experienced naval architects are experts in the design, development, and verification of complex ships against today’s complex and exacting performance specifications. We are the only company in Canada to offer both functional design and engineering, as well as detail design and the development of 3D product models and manufacturing specifications.
- Marine Engineering – We provide design and integration support for mission-critical systems and components to optimize function, space, weight, ruggedness, survivability, maintainability, radar profile, cost, and performance. Our expertise spans the most advanced approaches to power distribution and propulsion, displacement, stability, and hydrodynamic performance.
- Structural Engineering – Structural integrity is key to longevity, survivability, and the safety of under unpredictable environments at sea. We design the hull and internal structure for strength as well as other factors, including weight, producibility, cost, and more.
- Comprehensive Lifecycle Support – Serco’s world-class engineers are an important discriminator in our fleet modernization and sustainment offering. They provide inspection, performance evaluation, support, repair, maintenance, and ownership cost evaluation of systems and component equipment items. We are pioneers in the application of artificial intelligence (AI) to optimize maintenance and logistics so as keep vessels mission ready.
As part of Serco Group, our company is a global leader in naval architecture, with unmatched capabilities in engineering support for the design, acquisition, construction, and maintenance of submarines and surface ships. In Canada, we have a track record of success on vessels that present complex design challenges for clients in the defence, research, transportation, and commercial sectors.
- Serco serves as the design agent for hull and mechanical systems for the RCN’s Joint Support Ship (JSS) at Vancouver Shipyards under the National Shipbuilding Strategy. These multi-role vessels will provide an auxiliary function to the Royal Canadian Navy on military and humanitarian missions.
- Serco provided detailed design for the Halifax Class Canadian Patrol Frigate for St John Shipbuilding Limited.
- Serco has extensive experience in design and sustainment services for submarines globally, supporting the Navies of the U.K., Australia and the U.S. submarine program. Serco’s in-service support work includes engineering and maintenance, marine systems support, port services, maritime training, and specialized services such as undersea exploration and recovery.
- Serco is a leader in sustainable ferries, having supported the acquisition the first all-electric ferry for the Government of Ontario. We are providing design and construction oversight on the Pelee Island, Wolfe Island and Amherst Island ferries.
- Globally, Serco provides operations, maintenance, and support services for ferries that have resulted in improved operating efficiencies and passenger satisfaction.
- Serco has significant experience with icebreakers. Serco is the prime contractor to design and build the Australian research & supply icebreaker, the RSV Nuyina. This ship will serve as the centerpiece for scientific research in polar regions for Australia going forward.
- Serco developed the contract design package for the Canadian Coast Guard’s Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels, used for conducting research in Canada’s three oceans.
Commitment to Canada
Serco has a strong commitment to developing Canada’s shipbuilding industry, including both domestic and export markets. With a key presence in Ottawa and employees on both coasts, we have formed a partnership with the University of British Columbia’s Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Program. We also sponsor programs aimed to raise the awareness of STEM-based careers among Canadian youth as part of our investment in the next generation of scientific and technical talent to sustain the industry.