Where you could be working
We often find that leavers and reservists like to stay connected to the armed forces and will transition across to our Defence business. There are no limits to what part of the company you can join though - and Serco have roles waiting for you around the UK and the world.
We provide Maritime Services for our customers in the Defence and Nuclear sectors, operating over 100 vessels from seven sites around the UK, working in British waters and around the world. We’re proud to have been supporting the Royal Navy since 1996 – and we take great pride in our track record of exceptional service, combining innovation from industry with a real understanding of our customers' requirements.
Our team combines decades of experience with highly specialised skills to provide services ranging from towing submarines to trialling cutting edge maritime technology, from ferrying passengers to transporting irradiated nuclear fuel.
A career in Maritime Services will see you working in one of our three main areas of expertise:
- Vessel Provision: We provide end-to-end capabilities that enables our customers to deliver their seaborne missions. This covers the design, build or modification, crewing, operations and disposal of vessels.
- Vessel Support: We provide full lifecycle management of our own and our customers’ vessels, port facilities and infrastructure.
- Specialist Mariners: We provide security cleared crew, frequently with unique capabilities, to safely support mission-critical operations at sea.
- Clyde (Faslane)
- International Nuclear Services
- Kyle of Lochalsh
- Deck Ratings
- Electrical & Mechanical Technicians
We provide a range of critical technical, airfield and airport support services for the armed services, OEMs and civilian airport operators around the world. This includes activities as diverse as keeping Merlin helicopters operational at RNAS Culdrose, Air Traffic Control at Hawarden Airport or base support activities at RAF Brize Norton.
In Aviation you’ll be working as part of one of our three main business segments:
- Airport and Fire Services – We are the only signiﬁcant non-government provider of air navigation services in the world and is the only commercial provider to encompass the three disciplines of tower operations, approach control, and en-route centres. We also operate the International Fire Training Centre (IFTC) as well as ﬁre and rescue teams across ten airﬁelds and airports.
- Integrated Operational Support - As the primary provider of support to the RAF we provide integrated and cost-effective support to military operations in the home base, with proven specialist facilities management and service integration capabilities. We also survey airspace for the deterrence and detection of ballistic missile launches.
- Technical Support Services - We provide technical support services to help keep helicopters, ﬁghters, transport and training aircraft in the air. We also provide Surface Finish services to the Aviation sector and most of the UK military’s aircraft, including the Red Arrows.
- RAF Brize Norton
- RAF Systerton
- RAF Coningsby
- Hawarden Airport
- The International Fire Training Centre
- RNAS Culdrose
- Plus many more
- Aircraft Technicians and Supervisors
- Air Traffic Control Officers and Services Assistants
- Wash Team Operatives and Supervisors
- Surface Finish Technician
- Avionic Technicians
- Merlin Aircraft Engineer Fitters
Space and Security
Serco has been providing critical mission critical support to the RAF for over 50 years with the first contract win at RAF Fylingdales in the early 1960s. We operate in military satellite communication support services, air defence radar, ballistic missile early warning and space support as well as space data handling and have a strong heritage, expertise and skills in the whole space and security environment.
In Space and Security, you’ll be working as part of one of our four business segments:
- Satcoms - We’re a major subcontractor on the Skynet 5 programme, supporting critical satellite communications for the UK MoD global communications mission. Serco has been working in partnership with the Main Contractor and the MoD to successfully deliver the service since 2003.
- Radars – We enable the armed forces to retain their advantage in space, battlespace, and the land environment, protecting both UK nationals and allies at home and abroad and contributing to border control, counter-terrorism, and national security. Serco and its predecessor companies have been providing critical engineering maintenance and space track processing support to the RAF at the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS) at RAF Fylingdales since 1963.
- Training and Resilience - We provide globally respected academic, operational, and resilience training provision. We enhance and upskill leaders and managers to achieve improved results in mission-critical and other operational areas.
- Technical - Serco provides air defence radar contractor logistic support services and has been providing critical engineering maintenance support to the RAF for maintaining five critical UK based Air Defence Radars since 2005.
- RAF Fylingdales
- Defence Academy, Shrivenham
- Spacecraft Controller
- Electrical Engineer
- Security Officer
- Hardware/software Developer
Alongside Defence the main sectors we operate in are Justice & Immigration, Health, Transport, and Citizen Services - and below are some of our most frequently recruited roles within those sectors.
- Hospital Support Operatives – We’ve been working with the NHS for 20 years, providing cleaning, portering and catering to a number of Hospitals around England and Scotland. Our team of 8,800 create a clean and positive environment for patients all year round.
- Facilities Maintenance & Management – We recruit for building, electrical & mechanical technicians across our business, with the bulk working in Health, Defence and Justice and Immigration. You’ll also find broader Facilities Management roles at our larger sites or across regions.
- Operations and Business Management – With over 180 contracts within the UK we frequently add to our operations teams, ensuring that we can continue to run vital public services in an efficient, effective and innovative way.
- Custody Officers - Working as a Custody Officer within Prisons, Prisoner Escorting or Detention Centres isn't always easy - but it is rewarding. Whilst you're ensuring the safety of those around you we'll be providing you with the accredited training and development you'll need for a long, successful, and interesting career.
- HGV Drivers and Mechanics – Across London, the Home Counties and the Midlands we run fleets of vehicles that provide waste management for local authorities. If you’re a qualified HGV specialist, then you can help support the service we provide to 2.5 million residents.
You can find these roles and many more on our job search page.