Serco’s Environmental Services business has signed a new contract with the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead as well as securing a number of other contract extensions across some of its existing local authority customers. In total, this new contract and the contract extensions have a value of over £120m.
In Windsor and Maidenhead, Serco will deliver services including waste and recycling bin collections and will operate the public Household Waste and Recycling Centre and Civic Amenity Site from October 2019. The contract, with a total value of £39m, will run until 2027, with an option for a further eight-year extension. A key focus of the new contract will be to maintain and improve customer satisfaction levels and improve recycling rates. We will also be working with Age Concern to run a ‘Swap Shop’ initiative, using a former library bus, to visit towns and encourage reuse of household items.
Additionally, Serco’s environmental services business has recently agreed a number of contract extensions, with existing local authority customers across the UK, to the combined value of over £80m:
- Serco will continue to provide bin collections in Mid Suffolk and Babergh for an additional seven-years with a contract extension valued at £35m. As part of this extension Serco will work to introduce greener collection routes with trials of electric and alternate fuel vehicles.
- In Charnwood, Serco has secured a four-year extension valued at £20m. This service has successfully obtained a ‘customer excellence accreditation’ – a national Government standard.
- Newham Council has extended their grounds maintenance contract with Serco for a further twelve-months, with the extension valued at £5m.
- The London Borough of Bexley has extended their contract with Serco, for a further eighteen-months, with the extension valued at £19m.
- A two-year extension in Milton Keynes sees Serco continuing to maintain play areas with the extension valued at £1.2m
Managing Director for Serco’s Environment Services business, Ronnie Coutts, said:
“We are delighted to have been chosen to support the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead to deliver a range of services over the next eight years. Concurrently the securing of contract extensions with so many of our existing customers this year is testament to the hard work of our frontline teams do each day and the progress we are making in these local areas delivering innovation and change. We are committed to building on these improvements and partnerships during the extension periods awarded to us.”
Cllr Gerry Clark, lead member for sustainability, waste services and economic development for the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, said:
“We are delighted to award this important contact to Serco following a competitive tender process. Their commitment to reducing carbon emissions, making recycling easier for our residents while maintaining weekly collections made them a standout supplier.
“With a long history of waste collections in England, we are confident Serco will maintain the excellent quality of service to our residents as we continue to deliver weekly collections.”