Legal, Agents and Outside Agencies visits
Agents visits can be pre-arranged by contacting 01563 884241 between 09:30 and 16:00, Monday to Sunday. Should the requested date or time be unavailable, the solicitor will be advised of alternatives. Once made, an email confirmation of the booking date and time will be sent.
Please note, should a solicitor require to see his client as a matter of urgency, they will still be able to make that request in person at the prison, and where possible, we will attempt to facilitate this.
Our legal visit times are:
Monday to Friday 09:45 - 11:00, 13:15 - 16:00 (No bookings between 13:45 and 14:30)
Wednesday and Friday evenings 18:45 - 19:45
Saturday and Sunday 09:45 - 11:00, 13:15 - 16:00
What identification is needed?
Please ensure that you have your Law Society of Scotland SMART card with you when you visit. We cannot guarantee that you will be given access to your client if you cannot evidence your right to practice in Scotland.
If you do not have your SMART card, we will accept a valid practicing certificate, or alternatively a letter on your practice headed paper. We will seek to validate your information with the Law Society of Scotland.
What security measures will visitors experience?
- Please note that any personal belongings can be left in a locker in the Visitor Centre. This is done at the owners risk.
- Please do not bring any unnecessary items to the prison with you.
- On entering the Gatehouse, you will be required to undergo searching. You will be asked to remove your jacket and any metal items including belts, and perhaps your shoes. These will be passed through an X-Ray Machine, and you will be asked to pass through a metal detecting portal.
- You may also be subject to a rub-down search by a member of staff.
- Importantly, do not be in possession of any mobile phone or communication items such a a mobile phone charger or SIM card when gaining entry to the establishment. It is a criminal offence to attempt to introduce such items into the prison.
- Please rest assured that this is normal procedure, and we would be grateful for your full cooperation.
Legal visits by Video Link
Click here for information on the Scottish Legal Aid Board web site for solicitors looking to register for and use video link technology to conduct meetings with their clients in custody.