Aberdeen’s newest gin makers proved to be just the tonic for guests of Scotland’s overnight rail service.
Caledonian Sleeper invited Porter’s Gin to host their latest on board event last week (Friday 9 June), with the event timed to celebrate World Gin Day.
Those travelling from London Euston to Aberdeen and Inverness were offered the chance to sample Porter’s blends of botanicals, made at the first distillery in the Granite City in more than a century.
As well as a tutored sampling, guests in the lounge car received a goodie bag complete with a Porter’s Gin miniature and information about Aberdeen Gin Fest – the city’s first major gin festival which takes place this July.
Ryan Flaherty, Serco’s guest experience director at Caledonian Sleeper said: “As a service that strives to bring to life the best of Scotland, we were delighted to be able to welcome Aberdeen’s newest drinks brand, Porter’s Gin, to provide a unique experience to guests on board our lounge car.
“Our on-board events provide an opportunity to learn about Scotland’s up-and-coming food and drink companies and sample some of the finest local produce. The carefully selected and ethically sourced Porter’s Gin is no exception.
“For discerning gin enthusiasts, Aberdeen Gin Fest is in a few weeks’ time and we look forward to welcoming those travelling up for the festival on board.”
Ben Iravani, founder of Porter’s Gin added: “To have the opportunity to showcase our products on one of Scotland’s transport icons was a privilege, and we hope guests of the Caledonian Sleeper enjoyed the evening.”
For more information and to book your journey of a night time with Caledonian Sleeper, visit www.sleeper.scot
For further information about Porter’s Gin visit www.portersgin.co.uk
Notes to editors
The Caledonian Sleeper service is an overnight rail journey between Scotland and London which is operated by Serco on behalf of Transport Scotland.
- Scotland’s Caledonian Sleeper service has been hailed as one of Lonely Planet’s ‘Super Sleeper Trains’ and the London to Fort William service made the world’s best-selling travel guidebook’s top ten list.
- Every night, apart from Saturday, guests are transported both north and south between Inverness, Aberdeen, Fort William, Glasgow, Edinburgh and London Euston.
- Travel bookings can be made up to 12 months in advance on www.sleeper.scot.
- The Caledonian Sleeper service currently offers a range of ways to travel - comfortable and affordable seated carriages, shared rooms and first-class private accommodation – with a dining car offering an extensive locally-sourced menu.
- Caledonian Sleeper is committed to supporting local communities and suppliers:
- 92% of food produce is sourced within 50 miles of the food production operation in Dingwall.
- All guests are provided with a Sleep Kit which includes a sleep mask and ear plugs. First and Standard Class guests also receive Arran Aromatics toiletries.
- The Head Office and Guest Services Centre are located in Inverness employing around 30 people from the locality.
- Brand new trains will be launched in 2018, which will offer innovative ways to travel in comfort on the Caledonian Sleeper service with double and en-suite rooms as well as a redesigned Lounge Car for dining, serving the best of Scottish produce in the on board menu.