Defence in the UK & Europe
In the UK & Europe, Serco is trusted to deliver critical support services and operate sensitive military facilities. In conjunction with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Serco has been entrusted to work on some of the most advanced facilities since the early 1960s, winning the Ballistic Missile Early Warning Systems (BMEWS) contract.
We have since had a role in Space (Secure Communications), Battlespace (Air Defence Radar), Land (Counter IED and EW), Data Analytics (Intelligence), and Information Management (Cyber & Crypto), underlining the contribution we have made to the world of C6ISTAR (Command, Control, Compute, Communicate, Cyber, Crypto, Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance). Our current services also include aviation engineering services, base support, ship management and availability, vessel provision, and delivering training, strategy and leadership programmes.
- In the UK & Europe, we have delivered award-winning defence services for 50 years and currently service some 70 contracts across all military settings, with extensive experience in the Whole Force Approach.
- Serco surveys 500,000 square miles of UK airspace 24/7, supports 108 vessels for the Royal Navy (99.8% on time delivery), and provides fire and rescue services for 10 airfields around the UK.
- Our heritage is in complex facilities management, with our first contract with Fylingdales back in 1964. Since then we have been supporting more complex requirements such as the Defence Academy, Skynet satellite operational control centres or base support operations at RAF Brize Norton, the Emergency Planning College, and International Fire Training Centre, to name but a few.
- In Belgium we have been awarded the contract by the Belgian Ministry of Defence to provide the Belgian Armed Forces with a range of Facilities Management (FM) services. This pilot project is the first time the Belgium Ministry of Defence has outsourced FM services.
- We operate the internationally acclaimed UK Defence Academy, providing courses and educational outputs to the armed forces every year, with over 3,000 masters degrees awarded to date.
- We facilitate transformational change in support functions at organisations as diverse as the National Physical Laboratory, the Emergency Planning College, the Atomic Weapons Establishment at Aldermaston, and formerly at Defence Business Services (DBS). At DBS, Serco saved more than £110 million from the customer’s cost base over 4 years, whilst simultaneously achieving the ultimate goal of exceeding KPIs.
- We are the largest non-government provider of air traffic control services, and the only company with proven military/civilian ATC service transformation and transition capability.
- We have award winning air defence radar installation, upgrade, and operation teams.
- Finally, we are an Armed Forces Covenant Gold Award winner demonstrating the pride we have in serving the military and the care for our customers, as well as a ROSPA Gold award winner for the last 3 years.