Serco is relied on to deliver a wide range of government services to citizens around the globe, from the management of government departments and contact centres to the administration of flagship employment and health programmes, from the provision of complex case management, information technology and finance services to the operation of local waste management and leisure services.
We help governments to drive cost-efficiencies and meet the rising expectation for improved public services. We do this by streamlining frontline and back-office processes and using digital technology to facilitate self-service and increase convenience. As expert service integrators, we form effective partnerships with small enterprises to manage local delivery.
Our citizen-centric approach and empowerment of our people enable us to design better services, which are personalised to individual needs and offer a better experience.Read more
Citizen Services in the UK & Europe
In addition to our other sectors, Serco provides a diverse range of public services to citizens on behalf of Local Authorities, central government, and European government agencies, often with long-term partnerships spanning 30 years. These range from the administration of major employment and health programmes, such as Public Health England’s (PHE) health education programme and the Work Programme, to managing major services in partnership with Local Authorities.
We deliver essential support services to local and national governments, including complex case management, contact centres, finance, and ICT services. We also manage sport and leisure facilities and operate waste and environmental services on behalf of local authorities. Some of our key customers include DWP, BEIS, Home Office, Defra, HMRC, Local Authorities, and European Agencies.
In all areas, we consistently deliver high performing services by investing time in understanding the needs of the population we are serving and coming up with engaging and innovative ways to involve them in delivering better outcomes. For our customers, we develop efficiencies to allow money to be freed up for other priorities, we increase satisfaction through improving service user experience, and we upskill the teams who work for us so that all benefit. We apply core and consistent competencies and a set of differentiating capabilities.
- We operate many of the most high-profile services and programmes for citizens in the UK, including the flagship back-to-work scheme ‘Work Programme’, the Apprenticeship Programme, the Public Health England (PHE) health education programme, and complex case management and contact centre services for the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP).
- We provide waste and recycling collection services to 16 separate local authority customers.
- We are the only environmental services company to be awarded the ‘Customer Service Excellence’ accreditation and look after 160,000 bedding plants, cut 113,000 hectares of grass, sweep 272km of roads, and collect waste from 2.5 million residents per annum, of which 285,000 tonnes are recyclable.
- We manage over 60 sports and leisure facilities across the UK with over 90,000 people committed to regular exercise through our fitness memberships.We run over 40,000 workout classes a year to help almost 1 million people towards their fitness goals and teach over 30,000 children to swim each week.
- We pioneer technology-led process and service improvements, for example, we integrated voice and non-voice channels resulting in 70% digital service contacts for a central government agency, implemented a self-service solution for Highways handling over 98% applications online, and transitioned 100% of housing benefit claims online for a unitary authority.
- In our waste and recycling business, we have developed our own best operating practice through our ‘Minimum Miles’ route optimisation technology, reducing our client costs by up to 15% and reducing service carbon emissions by more than 30%, this is one of many other similar initiatives. We also have more than £1bn in service payments linked to customer satisfaction and survey over 15,000 residents, using their feedback to continuously improve the service we provide.