Serco runs the full spectrum of transport systems around the world – from air and sea to road, and with a particular focus on rail. We have the capability to deliver end-to-end solutions, from the design and delivery of new transport systems to turning around underperforming transport services.
We help governments to overcome urban congestion and maintain vital transport links by providing deep expertise and managing complex transport programmes that deliver reliable performance, build future capacity, and keep citizens and economies moving.
Through a focus on the end-to-end passenger journey, delivery of operational excellence, and the application of intelligent systems and analytics, we are able to design and run more efficient transport services and deliver a better passenger experience.Read more
Transport in the UK & Europe
Serco designs, operates and maintains heavy rail, light rail, passenger ferry, and cycle hire schemes in the UK & Europe – from the Scottish Caledonian Sleeper to Merseyrail, from the London Cycle Hire Scheme to NorthLink Ferries. We are also the largest non-government operator of civilian air traffic control in the world and offer a range of airside fire and rescue services.
- In the UK & Europe, we have delivered transport services covering heavy rail, metro, light rail, passenger ferries, and cycle hire schemes.
- We are renowned for our high service standards and customer satisfaction for the services we deliver on behalf of Transport Scotland, Transport for London, Department for Transport and other local and combined authorities.
- Our services include Caledonian Sleeper, Merseyrail, NorthLink Ferries, and the London Cycle Hire Scheme, among many others.
- Merseyrail has been recognised as one of the most punctual and reliable railway networks in the UK with the highest levels of customer satisfaction. In 2013, Merseyrail was the first train operator to be awarded a ‘Putting the Customer First’ accreditation mark, the national standard for customer service. In June 2014, Merseyrail topped the National Passenger Survey for the third time with 93% for overall customer satisfaction, 11 points above the national average.The network also consistently scores at or over 95% in public performance measures i.e. the percentage of trains that cover their full journey length and arrive at their final destination within five minutes of the booked time measured against the planned timetable.
- On Caledonian Sleeper, we are delivering a step change in service quality by enabling bookings to be made up to 12 months in advance of travel – a first for a UK rail company, introducing new menus on board the train that showcase local Scottish food and drink producers, opening a brand new Guest Services Centre located in Inverness supporting local jobs, and transforming the operation to be customer focussed working with hospitality partners to raise the standards of service.
- We pioneered and operated the London Cycle Hire Scheme (LCHS) on behalf of Transport for London (TfL) since its inception in July 2010, now covering 120km2 providing 12,000 bikes across almost 800 stations, managing over 50 million hires and counting.
- Last year we carried over 288,000 passengers, 55,000 cars, 135,000 sheep and 25,000 cattle between the shores of the Northern Isles on NorthLink Ferries, as well as transported 300,000 passengers between ScatSta Airport in the Shetlands and offshore oil and gas platforms.