- Home (UK)
- Media and News
- Serco partners with University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust to transform catering and cleaning
Serco partners with University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust to transform catering and cleaning
Published: 15 Jun 2017
Serco is set to transform catering and cleaning at Southampton General Hospital and Princess Anne Hospital after agreeing a new partnership with University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust.
The ten-year contract will see Serco bring a range of improvements which will provide a better hospital experience for patients, their families and staff, ensuring that hospital catering and cleaning supports the highest standards of patient care. Improvements include:
- An expanded choice of patient menu options reflecting clinical and cultural needs as well as personal preferences, with patients guaranteed to get their choice of meal.
- Tailored meals to support nutritionally vulnerable patients including elderly patients, dementia sufferers and oncology patients.
- Refurbishment of hospital restaurants and investment in new catering equipment.
- New healthy retail catering options for visitors and staff, including a deli serving salads, wraps, flat breads, and healthy drinks, and a ‘health bar’ offering ‘build-your-own’ smoothies and juices.
- Creation of a specialist cleaning training centre which will train staff in cutting-edge cleaning techniques and standards.
Serco’s responsibility for patient catering, retail catering and cleaning began at the beginning of June when the 500 permanent staff of the previous service provider transferred to Serco with their terms and conditions protected.
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust provides services to 1.9 million people living in Southampton and south Hampshire, as well as specialist services such as neurosciences, cardiac services and children's intensive care to more than 3.7 million people in central southern England and the Channel Islands.
Serco was chosen by the Trust as its partner for the contract against criteria which prioritised patient experience and service quality, reflecting the Trust’s values and emphasis on putting patients first. The signed contract has an estimated total contract value to Serco of £125m over the ten-year term.
Ian Crichton, Serco’s Managing Director, Health, said:
“We’re really delighted that University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust has chosen to work with Serco and look forward to building a seamless partnership, allowing the Trust’s talented team to focus on clinical treatment.
“We are passionate about creating a better hospital environment for patients, their families and staff, and we know that the quality and variety of the dining options plays a really crucial role. By providing patients with a wide choice of tasty meals tailored to their individual nutritional needs, we can support their recovery while at the same time hopefully brightening up their day.”
Fiona Dalton, Chief Executive, University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust, said:
“This is a really exciting opportunity and we look forward to working with Serco as they deliver a range of changes and innovations to help improve the experience of patients throughout our hospitals.”
Serco brings significant experience in hospital cleaning and catering from services the company provides at a number of hospitals in the UK and overseas. In December 2016, Serco was awarded a contract to provide soft facilities management services to Barts Health, England’s largest NHS Trust.